Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dragon Fruit

I am sitting at my dining table, slightly bummed, as I had written a whole post and completed it, only to click the back or refresh or erase button as I was putting my camera card into the laptop to upload a picture. :/ This version of the post will be significantly more succint. :)

It is a beautiful autumn day in south Florida. Bright sun, and a constant cool breeze. I feel quite erudite sitting here drinking a cup of home brewed strawberry kombucha reviewing my notes; this morning I had my first taste of the rare Dragon Fruit, and gift from a family of cacti native to central and south America, and harvested all throughout Asia, according to Wikipedia.
I come across the fruit at the supermarket while I was stopping in to pick up some avocados. I saw it, and without needing to see its name, knew I should get a couple. I saw no price, but figured they wouldn't be too expensive. Turns out even the cashier was surprised at the whopping four dollars per slightly-smaller-than-fist-sized fruit. These have to be good, I thought. :)

A brief description of the fruit: Its skin is waxy and deep pink or red, there are varieties that are yellow. Along its surface it has green extended fleshy protusions which resemble, quite honesly, scales. Thus, the aptly named Dragon fruit.
So this morning I cut one in half, being that it was now soft and the "scales" had become dry. The flesh is white, and it has dark brown/black kiwi sized seeds haphazardly placed, without symmetry. I sliced along a side and peeled the skin from there. I cut a couple small pieces and tried them and thought it a good idea to take some notes on the strange fruit.

- Almost absent of flavor - quite bland.
- Rreminiscent of a not-too-ripe pear in flavor and texture, with a slight taste of cactus (aloe, maybe?) juice.
- Once at the center, there is more taste; a potential pungeance that is appealing yet far too subtle, leaving me wanting more of the new found almost-juiciness after it was gone.







I know it's short, but that was pretty much it. I only ate half the fruit, as the other half is waiting for my beautiful partner Maria to arrive and taste before we go to a park to enjoy this lovely day, but I did most certainly want more after I finished that half. I don't know its nutritional value, but it feels like a very healing fruit. Those notes were taken before I looked anything up on the fruit, so I was surprised to find that it actually came from a cactus after I had written that it tasted as such.
I will at some point post something that will include the nut. value of this delicately flavorless fruit, but until then, I believe this will suffice as an Ode to the Fruit of the Dragon.
Blessings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment