Friday, October 8, 2010

Raw Pesto Zucchini Pasta!

I just had myself a most sublimely delectable plate of zucchini pesto pasta. :)
Zucchini pasta is definitely one of my all time favorite raw dishes because it tastes great and it's sooo easy to make. I've been making it at least once or twice a month forever now, and most of the time, end up having it for a whole week.
Depending on what you like and how you happen to want the sauce to taste on any particular day, you by just adding a few things you can make sauces like marinara or pesto (in this post I'll put up a pesto recipe) go from an Italian zest one day to a homey sweetness the next. Experiment! :)

If you don't have a special slicer, do not fret! I was making this for probably more than a year just slicing away at zucchinis with a fruit/veggie peeler. It works great, but if you have the extra $10 or whatever it is to get a slicer, it's worth it. I got mine at Target for about that much, but its not a spiral slicer.

The pesto (and marinara) is always different as I just kind of wing it remembering bits of different recipes, but what I did today is what I'll post.

Anyway, here it is:
Raw Pesto :) 
- Big bunch of fresh basil (1 1/2 to 3 Cups)
- 1 C cashews
- 1-2  tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1/3-1/2 C olive oil

Grind up the cashews and then place them and all the other ingredients in a blender. Turn it on and Presto! You've got Pesto! XD On looking at it, you might feel the inclination to add water; I do, and afterwards I always tell myself not to do so next time. Once everything is served it becomes just a tad too liquidy, but it's never bothered me more than aesthetically. Still tastes great, and you can increase the amount of sauce you've made. But, if you do add water, you'd probably want to add another 1/2 C of cashews.



Now, over a pot or a bowl slice up your zucchini. I peel mine, but you don't have to. Even if it is organic, though, I suggest you do, because USDA owns organic. Anyway, once you've got it all sliced up, just add the sauce into the bowl or pot or on top of each serving on a plate. :)

To sprinkle on top, I strongly suggest grinding up some soaked and dehydrated sunflower seeds, as well as ground flax. Mmm :) I think it tastes better than parmesan ever did as a kid.




So that's it :). Now, just a note for everyone which I think is important; I don't know if it is that zucchini is high in fiber or if it is the high water content of the vegetable and the sauce, but this pasta has without fail brought tummy and bowels joy. If you're eating raw, you definitely know what I mean, but if not, you will soon :)




 This is the basil plant on my balcony I get my basil from :)


And please excuse the highly amateur placement and arrangement of the photos. :) I'll get better at it.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment